A backpack with history
In 1898 the company was founded by Hans Deuter in Augsburg-Oberhausen. Around the turn of the century Deuter was commissioned to supply the Royal Bavarian Post Office with postage bags and mail sacks.
In 1910 the first major customer ordered - knapsacks, backpacks, haversacks, waist belts, camp and barn tents were also made for the army needs in increasing extent. In 1919 luggage and leather goods were added to the company's product range. The sack fabrication was spun of as an incorporated company. The number of rented tents reached the 10.000 qm line. For the first time Deuter tent halls were on the Oktoberfest.
In 1989 the division baggage and backpacks split off the parent company Deuter AG. In 2006 a complete line of Women's Specific packs was unveiled. Deuter now has SL models in every category in the line. Since 2000 Deuter is according to his own statement market leader in the area backpacking.